“A database is a collection of data organized in a meaning-full way”
▪ Information in a database is stored in tables.
▪ A tables is a collection of unique records that generally share sort of classification
▪ A table is defined by the collection of fields that is consists of data.
▪ A field is generally corresponds to a columns.
▪ Records generally corresponds to rows in excel
There are two types of database
- Flat database
- Relational database
▪ Flat database are the two dimensional database in which columns represents fields and rows represents a records.
▪ Flat database are easy to create and understand without any specific knowledge About the database
▪ But flat database can be very hard to maintain and are inefficient in terms of storage space and cant model complex relationship
▪ Eg. Excel Database
▪ Relational database are also the two dimensional database in which columns represents fields and rows represents a records.
▪ In Relational database there are relationships between tables so that complex problem can be easily modeled.
▪ Relational database are hard to create and understand without any specific knowledge About the database
▪ But Relational database can be very easy to maintain and are efficient in terms of storage space and can model complex relationship.
▪ Eg. Access Database
Advantage of excel database
- No specialized Database knowledge needed
You do not have to know anything about database to create a simple database to create a simple database in excel.
- Comfort level of other user
Other users may more comfortable with flat database because it is very easy.
Disadvantages of excel database
- Small size
- There are no relationship between tables
- Complex query cannot fire
- Weak security